Proudly Nigerian In Ankara

by - Thursday, October 11, 2012









What I'm Wearing
Earrings: (my sister's closet)
Gold Cuff Bracelet: (my sister's closet) I'm in love with it...
Gold Buttoned Blouse: H&M ($7.50)
Ankara Printed Pants: (my dad's closet) That's a first! Might not be the last!
Nude Pumps: Enzo Angiolini (my sister's closet)
Let's address the fact that the majority of this outfit is a huge thanks to my family's items! Fact addressed. Haha.

On October 1st, my beautiful country, Nigeria, celebrated its 52nd year as a free country. In honor of this special day, I searched my house high and low for a "school-appropriate" outfit. At first, I was just going to wrap my hair like I did here and here, but those scarves have magically disappeared from my closet. No matter how high or low I search, I cannot find them and it saddens me a great deal.

There are many dresses and two piece outfits in my closet, but they were all too formal for the look I was going for. I found myself searching in my brother's closet, but he's a 34 in the waist while I'm a 27. No amount of pinning would've made his clothes flattering.

Eventually, I found myself in my dad's closet where I came across these babies. While examining them, I saw how tiny the waist was made, so called my mother for the back story on these pants. She said she had them made in Nigeria for my dad but they were too small. Well, one person's "too small" is another person's "just right"!

I put them on and fell in love. They fit me perfectly! They are originally straight leg pants but I cuffed the bottom of them and pinned them to created the tapered leg look.

Ta-da!


Happy Independence Day, Nigeria! It's amazing. I moved to America when I was 4, so Niger was only 35 years free then! And both my parents are older than Nigeria's freedom.

P.S. Ankara is the name of the material that the pants are made out of!


follow me|facebook|twitter|bloglovin|chictopia

You May Also Like

0 comments