Pattern Mixing Tips: Casual Stripes & Leopard

by - Monday, November 19, 2012










What I'm Wearing
Earrings: Forever 21
Bracelets: Shoedazzle (my sister's closet)
Leopard Scarf: H&M ($8)
Striped Shirt: H&M ($11)
Electric Blue Denim: H&M ($12)
Tan Linen Blazer: UK French Connection ($12)
Mustard Skinny Belt: H&M (3 for $10)
Cream Oxfords: Crown Vintage (my sister's closet)

With every shoot for my blog, I have more and more fun. :) Thank you Jasmine! Now, on to this outfit:

I mix patterns and colors so often now that I forget that it's not common for everyone. Before I ventured into the amazing realm of style blogging, I'd never thought to do anything like this but, once I learned the unspoken rules of pattern mixing, I was able to follow and, at times, tweak them to fit the style I'm defining for myself. Here are some tips that I keep in mind when mixing patterns:

  • Use Pinterest to create or follow a pinboard that you use as inspiration. It's easy to use and access. If you find a pattern mix that you'd like to tackle on your own, save it for later!
  • If the patterns you're mixing have a common color, wear a solid colored item in your outfit to bring everything together. ie. If you want to wear a floral scarf and a polka dotted shirt which both have coral in them, wear coral pants OR shoes (OR accessories).
  • Monochromatic black patterns will (9 times out of 10) always go together.
  • Check out this post of mine that's just a little more detailed on mixing!

I hope this was helpful! If you have any questions, feel free to ask! :) Have a wonderful day!


follow me|facebook|twitter|bloglovin|chictopia

You May Also Like

0 comments